Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Can I help who's next?" ... WTF??!!!

Am I the only one who hears that phrase at the local Timmy's and cringes? I hope not! It's not just a Newfoundland thing, as I recall hearing it years ago in Manitoba while standing in line at yet another Timmy's.

Is there some sort of correlation there? It seems to me that I only heard it at Timmy's, ... unless that was the only place my student-self stood in line long enough to hear it.

It's grammatically unattractive. "Can I help who is next?" Yes, yes! You know and I know that they really mean "Can I help the next person?" But how hard is it to say that correctly?

What about "Hi, can I help you?" or "Next, please!"

Nowadays I hear it nearly everywhere I go. Standing in line at Chapter's, the teller beckons me with a "Can I help who's next." Starbucks. Mary Brown's. McDonald's. It goes on!!!

I want to go over and 1) Educate them, and 2) Smack them. Not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wake up call

Wake up call
Sunrise over Torbay